Saturday, October 17, 2009

Topo.

So today, like most days lately, was spontaneous. My plans for the weekend were to rest a bit, try to firm up the next few weeks, and see a bit more of Monselice.

By early afternoon I found myself down on the canal eating fresh bread and cheese and enjoying the sunshine--it was here that I met Nicola. He is a member of a local club that restores aging wooden boats. After communicating with him for a bit we decided that I should come back later in the afternoon. I left knowing that I had made a new friend, but had no idea what we were going to do when I came back--was I going to a)buy a boat, b)steal a boat, or c)go on a boat.

When I returned two more men were there to help load oars into the Mamo, a traditional working boat from this area, called a Topo. Fifty years ago this boat, and others like it, would transport stone and other goods throughout the Veneto. Today, though we were just out for a joy ride.

In the beginning we laughed, alot. Both at my clumsiness with the long, heavy oars and at my attempt to speak Italian. But as we settled in we began to understand each other and I began to understand the boat. The hour long trip on the canal was my first time on the water since arriving in Italy and the first time I have felt like I successfully carried on a conversation with Italian speakers.

After we returned to shore my new friends proudly showed off photos of other boats and their city. Then they invited me back for more later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment